Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Evergreen School-Burson


School Days
image size 4" x 6"; matted size 8" x 10"
gouache on watercolor paper
available: $35 + $10 USPS or free local pickup/delivery

My interest in old buildings continues with a study of the Evergreen Schoolhouse. The schoolhouse is located down Burson Rd about a half mile and change from Highway 12. The schoolhouse has a great history of course. I did a little reading about this in my Something From Nothing compilation. (Please see the resources page for information on this publication.) One room schoolhouses weren't uncommon and often times there may have been only one teacher for all grades. This particular building was built in 1894 as a way to serve children living in Burson who had to walk to school. (And not uphill both ways in the snow!)

The architecture of the building attracts me but really, it is the idea of a one room schoolhouse serving the needs of a small community that holds my interest. School districts are so complex these days and in my opinion, students are often under served. I wonder if a simpler schooling structure might have been more effective. In any case, the Evergreen School closed in 1955 as the county's educational system began to streamline itself. The building still stands and to my knowledge is occupied as a residence.

As always, if anyone reading has something to add just send me an email.
Libby
libbyfife@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com