Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Wildermuth House Sketches


My husband and I took a walk in October on Part of The Coast To Crest Trail. We were in search of the Wildermuth House, built by Ohio native John Wildermuth in 1861. The building was there though I understand from Sal Manna's article (Something From Nothing Volume II) it had burned down and was rebuilt in the 1940's.

It is an amazement to me that this building is still standing. I always wonder how people lived when I look around this area. It is beautiful country but during the summer it is hot, dry, and can be dusty. The winters can be cold and rainy. Procuring water is a continual effort. It is incredible that people homesteaded here and aren't we fortunate that they did?

As a side note, sketches are a good way to decide on a painting subject if I am on the fence, so to speak. Though I took a fair amount of photos of the home and surrounding land, the sketches help me to "investigate" the subject matter-how is the building situated, salient features of the building to be played up, surrounding landscape, etc. Sometimes the sketch is enough, especially in this case where the home isn't easy to get to in order to make additional notes. So, for now, just a sketch.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com