Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Friday, November 25, 2011

Calaveras Cement



Signage of all sorts is appealing to me but especially if it is from the early part of the 20th century. If I am not mistaken, this particular structure went up in 1935 and not knowing much about it, I would guess that it is a railroad trestle of some sort. The photo that I used for this sketch was taken as my husband and I were driving back towards San Andreas, having come from Columbia.

I went online to learn a little bit more about the Calaveras Cement Company. I knew that they were instrumental in the Pardee Dam project and I wrote earlier about the effects of the railroad boom/bust on the cement co. I didn't realize though that the company was involved in so many Bay Area projects and since I am a Bay Area native, this is of interest to me. The link for the company is here and it is also included in the resources section of the pages at the top of the blog.
Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com