Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Swingin' By Swingles


Swingin' By Swingles
9" x 12" acrylic on canvas
available: $65 + $10 USPS or free local pickup
email: libbyfife@ymail.com

It sometimes happens that I am just attracted to the idea of something. In this case for this piece, I was attracted to that cow sign. Or, I guess it may be a steer. How did they ever get it up there? Come to find out, fiberglass animals are a big advertising idea. Who knew?

This business is located in Amador County which is the next county over. Even though this project is centered on all things Calaveras, there is a tie in here to Amador. One of the charms of our county is that we have consciously chosen a policy of low growth. This means that we are not overpopulated with big box stores, traffic, and congestion. Amador county is a little different in that they have allowed in larger businesses. Despite this, the county remains peacefully open and not overrun with much of anything. And in comparison to the Bay Area where I am from, both counties are blissfully bucolic and tranquil.

I originally chose this business because of the sign and building but as I considered things, a small home grown business such as this is so necessary regardless of what county it is in. Supporting the efforts of small businesses so that they continue to operate is what gives a small rural county like this its character. Sure, we have a few larger stores to go to but having smaller businesses where you may know the owners is really priceless. It feels good to purchase from them. And that is why I think even though this store is specific to my area, the idea of it can be generalized to other parts of the country.

Libby

link to: Swingles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com