Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Hogan Lake

We moved from a very suburban area in Ca to a very rural area. I was used to green parks and tailored landscaping, uniform housing tracts and city planning. In particular, I had "my park" in a downtown area of a large city. Going to walk there on well manicured paths and strolling among a volunteer tended rose garden next to a picturesque lake was a really special experience. Views of Mt. Diablo are visible from nearly every corner and there is a lovely little stream which winds its way towards a dog park and beyond. Very picturesque.

When we moved here, I was a little sad to leave what I was used to but was excited to begin enjoying the wide open spaces of the foothills. There didn't seem to be anyplace to walk, however. Hogan Lake looked like a good alternative but I didn't quite "get it" at first. Wasn't it just for boaters and campers? The temperature swings can be serious too; broiling hot in the summer and pretty cold in the winter. This past Fall though, I finally began to see what was what with Hogan. After Labor Day, the lake is very quiet. The weather is still pretty mild-not too hot. I began walking there and at first I was just getting used to the path and figuring out where the trails were. After several months, I began to notice smaller details. And as an artist, I am on the lookout for these small and subtle colors and shapes that are all around me as I take my walk. There is a lot of history with this land-you can't help but think of the evolution of these natural elements as you look around. To this end, I included some up close shots of some things that can be easily overlooked as being just part of the overall landscape. Look closely though for the color, shape, and regularity of the objects and you begin to see a larger beauty that isn't always immediately evident.
Although this rock is taken out of context, (it sits along the side of the path on a larger piece of land) it is typical of smaller rocks in the area. It looks like some type of quartz with iron oxide shot through it. Whatever it is, those colors are very prevalent in the landscape.
These flattened rocks are also typical and are found on some of the hillsides along the walking path. Without benefit of a geologist's background, I would guess that the rocks look like slate or shale.
It is true that these are weeds but how lovely they are! They kind of creep along the side of the path and when the sun hits them they are a brilliant color of red.

This rock is just lying along the side of the path. Quartz I would guess, again with some type of iron mineral shot through it. (I am not a geologist obviously-just guessing!)

This last photo shows what I think is lichen on the branches of some brush. Most of the trees and bushes have some type of lichen growing on them. Again, you just have to be looking.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com