Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Pickle Patch Deli, San Andreas CA


Pickle Patch Deli
9" x 12" Acrylic on canvas
sold

When we first moved here, my sister-in-law took me to the Pickle Patch for lunch. Feeling a little out of place and nervous about moving to a rural community, I looked around the restaurant and noticed that everyone looked just like me! Nothing to worry about here I thought. And it is true. Going to the deli for lunch is always a great experience and is the closest thing to places that I used to go to when I lived in the Bay Area except everyone is very polite and knows each other!

I did learn through a quick search online that the building was built in 1939. It is a war time bungalow style home that has been turned into the restaurant. I also learned, through their web site here, that the grounds can be rented for events and that the restaurant also does catering. The gardens are lovely and I have sat outside on the deck in winter and summer and been comfortable every time.

Lastly, as pure coincidence, the picture that I took of the deli and upon which my painting is based, is nearly the same shot that is on the deli's web site. I was hoping for an angle that included a view to the back of the property as well as the contrast of light and shadow. The sign was important to include also. Guess whoever took the shot for the site thought the same things!

As always, if you have any information about the building that the deli is housed in please let me know.
Libby
libbyfife@ymail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com