Welcome!

Welcome! This blog will chronicle my efforts to document, through my artwork, the landscape and the buildings around me. I hope to learn about the history of the beautiful place in which I live and to share that with others through sketching, painting, and writing.

Buy my artwork! I maintain a website where all of my affordable artwork can be viewed and purchased easily. The site is here: Libby Fife Fine Art

Please feel free to leave a comment or to email me.
libbyfife@ymail.com

I also maintain a studio blog which is looser in format. Check me out there to see what else I am doing:
http://quiltedcraftsman.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Famous Jumping Frog Motel
9" x 12" acrylic on wrapped canvas
available: $75 + $10 USPS
PayPal
email: libbyfife@ymail.com
Our county has a number of these little motor lodges or motels as they came to be called after World War II. In the first part of the 20th century, our highway systems in the United States began to be developed, connecting towns and cities across the country. More people acquired cars and traveling by car from town to town became popular. These small groups of rooms with a central court for parking (typically) sprang up across the country next to these new roadways. People could pull over, rest, eat, and enjoy whatever sights were available. Eventually, the interstate highway system was developed, bypassing the old highways and the old motels. Newer chain hotels sprung up in response to this changing landscape and consumer demand. My belief is that The Jumping Frog Motel in Angels Camp, pictured above, was probably one such motor lodge. It is indeed situated right off of highway 49, one of the main roads running through our county. I am guessing that during the summer, when the fair is going, it probably gets a lot of custom. There are other places to stay now as well so I don't really know how the motel is doing. In my mind though, it has an historic past and is a bit of a relic from a time gone by; a piece of living history.


Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment or to send me an email: libbyfife@ymail.com